Tuesday, November 22, 2011

My scale can't read

I am extremely sick (again). Sick enough to go to the doctor. Which means actually stepping on a scale.

It was brutal.

It was depressing.

It woke my ass right up.

You know that high number your scale has, the one listed on the box that it only goes up to? I passed that level eleven pounds ago. Which means that what I have thought I weighed wasn't exactly right, because my scale was off, because it wasn't meant to weigh things as heavy as I am.

After I crawled on my knees through that emotional landmine and then curled into a ball and cried myself to sleep, I woke up and realized that all the blogging, all the shit I have been spouting about "I can do this, I will do this" blah blah blah means is crap if I don't actually DO something about it. I can talk all I want, but flapping my jaw doesn't burn many calories and, in my case, usually adds them.

I read an article that said diet is only 30% of weight loss, the other 70% is exercise. Now, since I read this in a fitness magazine, the data may be skewed in the exercise's favor. Or it might not. It makes sense, to work off more than you take in and you can monitor what you take in, but it's actually burning it and more that makes you lose the weight. Who knows?

Well, we will. Because the Monday after Thanksgiving, I am starting an experiment. I am going to find a diet, any diet that seems doable, that has a menu posted online, with a link that readers can access, and I am going to follow that diet to a T. In addition, I will be going to the gym. My goal is 4 miles on the treadmill a day and a minimum of 50 sit ups. Exercise will be the same, but the diets will change monthly or weekly (depending on how long the diets are supposed to last. I am going to try this for six months. And then I am going to amp up the exercise and follow one diet for another six months. It's not exact, but it will give me an idea of which idea is right, better food vs better exercise.

It's a win/win situation for me. At least I hope it will be in that I will be eating healthier and getting exercise and losing weight. And I hope to lose enough that my scale recognizes me again and gives me some true numbers. Because I can't take the depression and fear and ohmygodIamgoingtopukerightnow feeling in the middle of the doctor's office again.

Oh, and if you are wondering, I will be fine. I have a bit of bronchitis and laryngitis. A Z-pack and some cough syrup and orders to sleep and I should be good as new in a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment