Monday, February 24, 2014

Sweet dreams are made of these

In my quest to not diet, enjoy life, and just be me, but a healthier me, I made a super delicious dinner tonight.

I had to go into town to go grocery shopping after school and, of course, there's a snow storm going on (the kind where people miraculously forget to how to drive), so it took for-freaking-ever to get there and then home again.  It was late by the time we got everything unloaded and my kids were moaning about growling tummies, so the meal I had planned on wasn't happening.  I needed something quick, but I still wanted to stay healthy.  I had some ham steaks on hand, so I heated those up.  I had a BBQ ranch broccoli slaw that I had gotten at Sam's (and it's divine), so we had that with it.  And, I had bought some sweet potatoes tonight, too.

Now, I've bought sweet potatoes before and they always end up moldering away in the pantry until I toss them out.  Not only have I never been a fan of that overly syrupy marshmallow glob covered dish served on Thanksgiving, but I just didn't know what to do with them or how to cook them.  Yet, I still bought them from time to time with some crazy idea that just never hatched fully or got carried out to completion.  In my research this weekend, I learned that the sweet potato is a powerful little commodity in the battle of the bulge, so I bought them again tonight.  And I was determined to get over my fears and use them.  Thanks to Google and some modifications, I added sweet potatoes to the meal to help fill those ever hollow bellies that I live with.

Can I just say . . . O.  M.  G.  soooo fricken good!  How did I not know these existed to be cooked this way?  These may become a new guilty pleasure.

So, how'd I do it?  I washed 4 medium sized sweet potatoes and then poked them twice (once on each "side") with a steak knife.  Then, I put them in the microwave for 10 minutes on high.  I pulled them out, sliced them open in half and then kind of pulled the knife through the meat inside to kind of open it up for the seasoning.  I put a pat of butter in the middle of the crease and then sprinkled a little sea salt and a whole lot of pepper all over them.  Then, I put them in a 450 degree oven until smoke billowed out the front because I failed to take into account the high heat, the butter and the fact that I put the spuds on my rectangular cooking stone and not one that had sides.

Oops.

But, it was maybe about 5 minutes or so that they were in there.  After opening the windows and turning all the fans on to air the house out, I dished up dinner - including the now smoked sweet potatoes.

Despite a near tragedy, these babies were delicious!  Tender and savory with just a hint of sweet.  Not that overpowering syrupy sickness that I was used to pairing with a sweet potato.  No, THIS is how a sweet potato should be made.

My guys agreed they were good, but were maybe not as enthusiastic as I've been over them.  But, what do they know?  They eat boogers.

No comments:

Post a Comment