Tuesday, February 5, 2013

give me strength

True story - I had myself talked out of the gym by the time I was done with work this afternoon.  It was kind of a crap day, the kids I work with were in an uproar most of the day, one of the other teachers had a major attitude problem, I was thoroughly exhausted and still super sore from yesterday's workout.  Really, I just wanted to go home and veg in front of my lap top with some tea in the peace and quiet of my house for a bit before I went to pick up the kids.

And then, on the way home, there is a turn I need to take.  If I take it, I get on the interstate and go home.  If I keep going straight, I end up at the gym.  I couldn't get into the other lane because some jackhole kept speeding up and slowing down, thereby eliminating any space or chance I had to get over.  After mentally flipping him off, I kept going straight after I missed the turn onto the 229 and ended up at the gym.

My body is seriously pissed at me and I don't think I will be able to walk tomorrow.  I haven't been to a strength training class since my original ten week challenge (when I went to the gym before, I was only going to the kickboxing classes.  Because, well, those damn strength training classes are HARD!) and it was TOUGH.  It was lower body today.  My thighs and ass still haven't quit burning and the class ended 3 hours ago.  When I bent over to take dinner out of the oven, I am pretty sure I strained something.

However, I don't really regret going.  Sure, I hurt.  BUT, I was reminded during the class by a screaming instructor trying to encourage us to work harder that strength training is just as important as cardio.  And the lower body days burn more calories than any kickboxing class ever could since the largest muscles in our bodies are worked.

Do I regret going?  nope.  And I need to remember that.  However, I might regret it in the morning when I can't get out of bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment